Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Top 10 Things We Miss About Home

It would appear that the popularity of the blog is dwindling now that you know about Rylan. Comments are down, and drastic measures had to be taken. I have been forced to try my comedy routine to get a response from somebody. Anybody.

Since we're been immersed in a new culture, in a new country for so long now, we thought it was time to share our thoughts on the things we miss most about home.

Number 10 - The Young and the Restless

I wonder what old Jack is doing? Are Nick and Phyllis still together? And what about that darn Victor - what's he up to these days? We only have 3 English stations on television, and our choices are limited - Discovery channel (American Chopper and Mythbusters - repeated all day and night), BBC (but no Coronation Street), and the Hallmark Channel (all sap, all the time).

Number 9 - Shoveling Snow

I know - it's sick. But it snowed here last week - a lot. The city crews are out every day shoveling the sidewalks and streets by hand, and moving snow around so it will melt faster. Every day we go for a walk, and I feel like those workers are taunting me with their shovels...

Number 8 - Having Stuff To Do

Aside from our routine visit with Rylan, our days are, well, often boring. At home there is always something to clean, something to fix, and just something to do. Here, after our daily walk to the market, we eat. Then we wonder what we can do all evening. Sometimes we read, watch shows on the IPOD, or play Yatzee or cards. Often we just pass the time staring lovingly into each other's eyes.

Number 7 - Children's Clothing That Makes Sense

They don't have clothes labeled with sizes here - it's a guessing game. And to make it more interesting, the items are one of a kind - if you see it hanging, and it's not the right size, you're out of luck. No checking the rack for a larger or smaller one.

Number 6 - Understanding The Language

We don't understand what people say to us. I think I've been complimented on my charade playing skills while shopping many times - either that, or they called me an idiot. And reading menus written in Russian - always a gamble, even with our dictionary.

Number 5 - A Clothes Dryer

The towel warmer in the bathroom is better than the clothesline across the shower, but it just isn't the same. Our socks and underwear will never be the same. And just try fitting a pair of wet jeans on that towel rack - someone is going to break it before we get out of here!

Number 4 - Reliable Phone Lines and Internet Service

Need we say more? It never fails - the internet never works when we have important things to check. Where else can the entire city lose internet service at the same time (yes - it happened here).

Number 3 - Real Food

We miss real food. It's not that they don't have food here, but it's different. I miss fresh bread - even in the restaurants it's always day old - never fresh. They don't have crackers - who doesn't have Ritz crackers? I haven't had milk since we got here (but we eat a lot of cheese and yogurt every day for calcium). Dave misses beef (you can never really be sure what type of meat you're eating), peanut butter, jam and real coffee (not that instant stuff).

Number 2 - COSTCO

I must admit - I was tempted to put this as Number 1. I miss wandering around the store, seeing what's new from when I was last there (2 days earlier). I miss buying things in bulk. I miss the greeters at the door. I miss the sound my credit card makes as they swipe it at the cashier... Dave says the store's profits must be down since I've been away. He is also sure my picture has been posted as a "missing person" at the store entrance.

and the Number 1 Thing We Miss About Home...

Our family and friends!

It's true that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. We are so blessed to have such unconditional support and love. We can't wait until we can see everyone again.

16 comments:

Karen kk said...

Interesting update. Iam sure someone could update you on Y & R in about 5 minutes or less. Why, why would you miss shovelling snow ? Stare into each others eyes.... are you sure Dave is awake not sleeping with his eyes open. lol. Looking forward to your arrival back and the many pictures and stories to follow.
Best wishes !

Karen K

Anonymous said...

I am commenting on this one, even though it is in regards to your last entry. Allthough I actually can relate to some of the things you miss, except the snow shovelling, that just does not make any sense to me. I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to hear about how you both are getting to know your son. To say I am happy for you does not seem to cover it. You are all three still in my prayers, and will continue to be.

Trudy (from work, the home care person)

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,

Just a short hello from everyone here on 4 Platoon at 25 Hall. Glad to hear things are slowly taking shape and are moving along.
Hey Dave, I have started driving Code 3 and back from calls so you may be out of a job when you return, you have not missed much, just a couple of house fires, and some broken bones.
Drop us a line and all the guys says hello.

Greg.

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Hey there, we're still out her checking in on you regularly! We just got a good chuckle out of your "lovingly staring into each others' eyes" comment. That was meant to be funny, wasn't it? :-) We love following your story, and we'll even try to comment slightly more often! Hang in there...

Anonymous said...

On item # 2 "Missing Costco" We were just there and there is no missing picture posted but the milk carton pictures do Dave no justice. Profits must be down only 2 checkouts open, employees looking very sad as more layoffs have been announced.

We wish you well and a safe journey home.

Kevin & Tannis

Kristan and Mark said...

I'm usually a lurker, but I remember being in Kaz and how much I looked forward to comments from people I knew, people I'd never met, I didn't care, just comments.

Dont' think people aren't reading they are.

BTW, try to enjoy this time of not having much to do because you will miss the quiet when you get home and you will wonder why you didn't take it all in and appreciate it while you had it.

Anonymous said...

Costco Closed..They are looking for you. We have been sending emails instead of comments however this definitely deserved one. You have a great sense of humor Stacey. It is amazing what you can learn about a neighbour when Dave and Rick are not talking.

Anonymous said...

AS I sit here reading english menus and eating beef I have to laugh. Costco is going out of business and they are turning it into a Big Joe's polka party house. I can't wait for the driveway party.

kitzkazventure said...

I could probably go back to about the month mark in Kaz on our blog one year ago and find the exact comment about the lack of comments. I put out a challenge for all of our fam and friends...they had to comment about what was going on in their lives.....we got some great updates (TV shows and March Madness basketball as well!)....give it a try and all the Kowalchuk gang better not let them down! We needed it so bad and I know they do too! We actually had fresh bread alot but even that got old because we really couldn't eat anyting else they offered in our small town (Zhezkazgan)! ;) And really, as said previously, you should just keep staring in each others eyes and enjoy every moment because pretty soon they will be droopy with sleep and exhaustion and you will be joking and saying, I'm sorry, do I know you? oh yeah, you were that person I spent 2 spectacular, distraction free months (give or take a few weeks)with forming a family....trust me those days will look good to you in several months....we even miss MAX MIXSON and the Houston SPCA (ANIMAL COPS) in RUSSIAN....it is not the same in English! LOL! And, we miss wintersports (every single skiing event known to man) without all of the annoying American sportscaster commentary....

Hang in there! Karen of The Kitzkazventure blog

Anonymous said...

We still check in guys! You're not missing much on Y & R at all. Time doesn't pass in their world. As for the snow, we'll save you some I am sure!
What will the next "top 10 list" be?
Kelly and Geoff

Anonymous said...

Hey cousin Stacey and Dave,
I have been reading your blog a lot. Sadly, my mom has cut down on my computer time as of late since I have been a bit naughty during my meals- so I haven't had a chance to type you a message. Maybe I will have to make some better nutrition decisions at dinner time, such as eating my veggies and meats so that I can write more.
Rylan, please save me from my mommy's cooking! Help me fight the veggies! Send me a cookie, chip, candy, anything!
Love little t
xxx

Anonymous said...

Say it isn't so the rookie @ 25 station is driving. Dave will no longer be the untouchable.Don probably is to blame. You know he did make a captain forced into early retirement. The crews @ 21 station and the big house(1 station wish the best and glad things are working out. Also your getting 2% raise. Stacey shave Dave's head yet? Guys want to know who druls more? Dave or Rylan?

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Hi, I ran across your blog and had to laugh at your list. I'm currently sitting in Petropavlovsk where it is a balmy 22 degrees, watching it snow from the stony silence of my hotel room. Bonding for today is over and alas. If it were me--someone from Austin, Texas---I'd add Mexican Food and Margaritas to your list. Best wishes, Susan smooretexan@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey and Dave,
I am glad to hear that you have settled into somewhat of a routine.
Okay, I have been doing my best at Costco. I have made several hefty deposits there over the last while. (I have been there 4 out of a possible 7 days!) I am nearly broke but I am sacrifing myself for your good. I will continue with the purchasing until your return. I know, I know,it's a hardship, but shall endure. You will not be disappointed.
Y&R update - Victor has thrown around his "I am your father" speech a few times, Jack and Sharon hired a guy who looks like John Abbott so that he can 'appear' to Gloria as a ghost and freak her out. Jeffery is in on the plan. Nick and Phillis are okay. Danny Romalotti came into town for the opening of the magazine and Daniel is not happy about it. Otherwise everyone else seems to be bumbling along as usual.
The pictures you posted of the town look so pretty. I am always amazed at how 'young' Canada is compared to these countries who are rich with history and culture.
Okay, I always feel I have to keep 'blogging' short and sweet, is that true? 'Oh well' if it is.
On other related notes -
I hope your shower rod holds out.
I like the staring into each others eyes comment too - but give Dave a tap every once in a while in case he is sleeping with his eyes opened as Karen suggested!
You miss the snow? You really must miss home.
(I must make a mental note not to enter any Yahtzee tournaments with the 2 of you as opponents.)

Here's wishing you more good visits with Rylan, fresh bread, and one more English channel!

Thinking of the three of you often,
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey and Dave. Dave you don't know me but I work with your wife. Just ask her who Garett is and she will tell you about my crazy ways. Since you are bored I am going to tell you that my wedding went great in Cuba. It was perfect and the two famlies didn't even fight. Well one famly being french and the other german/russian can be like mixing red and white wine together, it can go either way, good or bad. In my case it turned out good. The day after I got hitched I got sick. Considering that Jackie was sick until right before the wedding I guess it was my turn. I came down with a cold, sore throat and a ear infection. Then on the way home with this cold I popped a hole in my eardrum while flying home with a cold, yep just great. Stacey you would enjoy this one becasue I couldn't talk for about a week, I think Jackie enjoyed it to but I am not about to ask. But now I can ignore Jackie and get away with it (hehe) because I am having some hearing problems now. I use that one when I need to get out of doing something, but my hearing is improving. This married life is killing me, that is what Jackie says. So we came back hitched and everything seems to be getting better (health wise)I am on my second cycle of antiboties and I got my voice back so look out world here I come. The pics are beautiful from the wedding and you will see them when you get back. I wish nothing but the best for the both of you . Take care for know Garett.

nicole & kirk said...

Hi guys, please don't stop writing! I look forward to reading your news pretty much every day. It is a highlight to read that things are going well for all of you. We miss seeing you guys on the bay, Dave driving by, Stacey shoveling...Anyways,take care and Costco will be there when you come back (let's just say I'm probably there enough for the both of us)! The Ziemianski's