Now I'm sure that many of you have been thinking "Stacey and Dave have been living in a hotel in a foreign country for almost 9 weeks now. That must be so glamorous!!" Well, I'm here to tell you that there are some great things. I haven't made a bed in over two months, or cleaned a toilet, or washed a floor. There are always clean towels brought to us every morning. I'm sure Dave will jump in at home so that I can continue my break from toilet duty, right?
However, I must admit, the past 3 weeks, living in a hotel room with a baby - has not been as exciting. (I can't believe we've had him with us for 3 weeks!!). First of all, Rylan thinks he calls the shots around here, because we don't want to be evicted. So instead of letting him scream when he doesn't want to sleep, we cater to his new sleeping routine. Let me explain - it's time for Rylan to nap or sleep for the night. We close the drapes, and shut off all of the lights and the television. Dave and I lay on either side of him on the bed, and pretend to sleep. Well, I pretend to sleep, and Dave actually falls asleep. Rylan talks to himself, rolls around, eats his feet, and is amused by his hands until he gets tired and falls asleep. I poke Dave, and he checks the time. We wait a few minutes to make sure Rylan is really asleep, then quickly scoop him up and into the crib. Now, the hotel room has the main room with the bed and the crib right next to it, and the bathroom. Once Rylan is in the crib, Dave and I sneak into the bathroom, shut the door, and finally get some alone time. Today, for example, we ate a bag of potato chips, and they were so good! Get your minds out of the gutter - it's hard to eat in front of Rylan, because he gets upset he can't be eating too!
So you see, it's not all glamorous. Don't be jealous. You too, can always sneak a bag of chips into the bathroom at your place to experience our excitement!
2 comments:
The most special thing about this time is that it will be hard for the 3 of you to have that much uninterrupted time together ever again. This will end up being a very special bonding period -- but I do hope you get out of jail soon!
I loved the Kacca picture....Haven't commented much but then remember how desperate we were for comments at the 9 week mark....we too had the glorious experience of living with our new little one in an unfamiliar place for a month + also.....I laughed at the whole trying to keep them from crying thing. We were in an apartment (our boy was 3 and really has a good set of lungs) and the next door neighbor started lecturing us in Russian one day about the Plach, Plach (crying)...made us even more paranoid....Nick didn't give in quite so quickly as Rylan though...we had some huge battles to just keep him from slamming doors and getting into everything while he was supposed to be going to bed. BUT, he changed almost overnight, once we were home and just started him on a routine of bath, books, and bedtime. Life will be "normal" again, I promise...you will get control back again......kind of? :)
I pray that you get to leave at the 10th week mark as we did and then you will be celebrating your first year at home before it like we will be on the 20th!
Much perserverance to you ....and love that you have kept your sense of humor....the last few posts have just made me laugh!
Karen Kitzman
Post a Comment