Thursday, April 24, 2008

We're Finally Home!





It's hard to believe, but we made it home!
I can't believe how amazing Rylan was on the planes. He's definately a traveller - or he was just so excited to get out of Kazakhstan.
We left for Moscow on the 19th at 3:30 am. Our friends from the U.S. woke up to see us off, we'll sure miss them. What will Rylan do without his personal entertainers at his beck and call?
The flight was less than 2 hours long, and soon we were on the hour long ride to the hotel (traffic was light on the weekend). We had a great time - exploring the area of Old Arbat - going shopping, touring Red Square. Most exciting of all though, was dinner at Mcdonald's. I don't eat there very often at home, but after 2 months, a quarter pounder never tasted so good!
I was worried about the flights home - 3 planes, 2 layovers, and 23 hours of travelling in total. TO make things even more interesting, while feeding Rylan and hour before we checked out of the hotel, I noticed a hole in his bottom gum where a tooth was making it's way out! Perfect - a teething baby on a 23 hour journey. BUt we were so surprised at how great he was! Why couldn't he have been so happy and relaxed at the hotel in Uralsk?
The flights were relatively stress free. Except for the leaky poop incident on the flight from Frankfurt. Now the airplane bathrooms are small enough, but try changing a baby in there who has poop all the way down his leg to his foot, with the bonus of some wicked turbulance at that exact moment. It's a good thing Rylan saw the humor in that situation, although I wasn't laughing as hard as he was!
During our stop in Toronto, my best friend Tanya surprised us by meeting us at the airport! I couldn't believe she did that - it was wonderful to see her and get to introduce her to Rylan (although he slept most of the visit).
Our homecoming in Winnipeg was incredible - a hugh Welcome Home sign and our families and good friends there to greet us (well, more like meet Rylan, but we did manage to get a bit of attention too!)
It's been great having family stop by and help entertain Rylan while we try and unpack and get organized. Rylan is adjusting to a new routine surprisingly well (so far). He doesn't know whick toy to play with first, and is definately not bored with his new surroundings.
It's hard to believe the past 9 1/2 weeks have changed our lives forever. Now we can enjoy our time as a family together at home!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

After a long journey - Welcome home!

Anonymous said...

welcome back!
Love Tori&Family
x,ox,0,

kitzkazventure said...

Glad to read that you made it home safe.....now, the rest of the story! Happy Journey to you ALL!

Anonymous said...

Dave there is still spring cleaning for you @ stn 25 and you are no longer the driver.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home you guys!

Kathy

Kristan and Mark said...

Welcome home! Hope the adjustment goes extremely smooth!!

I know how wonderful it is after being in Kaz for a long period of time.......there is NO place like home, especially when you have your baby home with you!!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!!! More pics please!!!
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear the journey went well and that your slightly larger family is finally back home. Can't wait to meet the little guy!

Michelle, Joe & Orion G.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Hopefully you will get some well deserved rest & enjoy being back to the comforts & norms of home :) We're so happy for you guys!!!
All our best,
Love Colleen & A.J.

Anonymous said...

Well Rylan, how are those parents of yours making out since you all got home?
It seems you have everything you need, parents, warm place to sleep, roof over your head and a tremendous amount of love.

You are all so fortunate to have each other.

Hey when are your parents going out, I'm available for babysitting, 24/7 really, the only fault I would have was giving Rylan too much love and cuddling, squeezing, kissing and the list is endless ... I could be considered a professional, I have experience, two lovely boys, I know all about those parts, I don't even mind a wet or full diaper, not looking for them but if the occassion did occur I'm up for it, I know this is a run on sentence, who cares ... stacey you must need to shop, browse, go for coffee, the three of us could go for coffee when daddy is at work, whatever works for the two of you, do you think I'm excited, do ya, do ya ... good night, just had to take Trukie for her nightly pee, see I'm even use to gettin up at night, I think I'm a priceless baby minder ... love Cincsy

dnd82001 said...

Welcome home!!

Congratulations!

We are so very happy for your family!!

Darlene

Anonymous said...

I just got your blog address and finally read all about your adventure, what an experience. A blog is a wonderful idea and you really kept it interesting...loved the top 10...look forward to a top 10 of Rylan at home :) It must be so nice to be back at home and finally a family.
He is SOOO CUTE!!

Congratulations
Love Janel and Craig

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacy & Dave & Rylan, Nice to hear that you all are back home safely. Wishing you all the best of happiness, love Aunty Pat & Uncle Robert.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! What an adventure but well worth it!! You have a beautiful baby boy! I wish you all the best - enjoy every precious moment.
Laura

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Congratulations on FINALLY making it home!! We are so happy for you! We have loved reading your blog, and we hope that on occassion you'll post an update. All the best to the entire family.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
We are hoping that your family is doing well. We are also assigned to Uralsk. We red that you were staying at the Pushkin Hotel. We do like to send you a private email.
Many greetings.

Wonderful world of Kaz said...

Hi, I just found your blog and was excited to see another Can/Kaz family in Manitoba! My husband and I adopted our son from Astana, Kazakhstan in 2007, also using CAFAC. We live a couple of hours south of Winnipeg. Your son is absolutely beautiful! We are part of a little group of other families who have adopted from Kazakhstan, and who are planning to get together from time to time so our kids will know other kids from their birth country. If you think you might be interested, please get in touch with us! Our email is mjkaz2007@hotmail.com Hope to hear from you. Jennifer and Michael Sanders

Anonymous said...

Your help might be critical for orphans in Ukraine right now. Go to the link and learn more, please. God bless you!